Saturday, February 7, 2009

Homeopathy (a further investigation)

I adopted homeopathic practice some years ago because it filled my expectations for medicine. I believed as a small child that the tools for our existence must be here at our feet and free for the taking. This is just my interpretation for life. I watched throughout my lifetime as many relatives and friends slowly migrated to worse and worse illness, multiple medications and lack of concern by the allopathic medical community. This increase of illness was during a time of increasingly expensive treatment by allopathic doctors. Prices for medical help began to skyrocket and no real advances were ever made in the ailments of these friends and family members. Each seemed to keep their ailments in check with handfuls of pills, not making progress, only existing. There had to be a better way. I originally thought that maybe if I studied the past. Maybe the past before the 1960s, 1950s could show me where we went wrong in healing. Halfheartedly and with no real expectation that there was another way of medicine, I read and read. Purely by chance, I kept coming across bits and pieces about homeopathy. A lot of the texts were from the 1800s and I thought that you can’t be serious about medicine and treatment in the days of leeches and bleedings and the like. Well stunning as this may seem, that was the way the allopathic doctors treated the patients of the 1800s- not the treatment by homeopathic doctors! The homeopathic doctors abhorred such treatment and spoke out against it at every turn. The old texts that I read sounded more like cries of patients in 1970 rather than 1870. They spoke of the pills and concoctions that dominated allopathic medicine which kept the patient going back for more, never curing illness. They spoke of the curse of having enough money to be slowly medicated to further illness; that the poor were far easier to help because the lack of “standard” medical attention they received made them far easier to heal. You can understand my astonishment. It couldn’t be more true to this day! Suffice it to say that I believe there was no lack of common sense or intelligence of the 1800s as there is no lack today; but, that there existed some great and competent minds that were not recognized. After all, the foundation of current medicine was discovered by Louis Pasteur in the late 1880s. Knowing this, why couldn’t I assume there was someone as smart as or smarter than Pasteur? And why couldn’t I assume they had figured out a better way to health? But my optimism and conviction was not quite there yet.

I had always seen the homeopathic remedies in health food stores and had even tried a few to no real affect. I was as surprised to find at the beginning of my search that the original homeopathic texts contradicted the way that homeopathic medicine was currently used and recommended. Delving further, I found a small band of current homeopathic doctors around the world that challenged the newer methods and pointed back to the original texts. So I got the old texts. In India there is a book publisher that publishes all the old texts, translated into English- authors such as Hahnemann, Boenninghausen, Hering, etc. It wasn’t long before I realized homeopathy’s potential. But, it took many years of trial and error to find the proper use of homeopathy.

From this background, I was healing ailments in a fraction of the time it took before and with no apparent side effects. I found the way it should be done… from the man himself, Samuel Hahnemann.

1 comment: